- 1 Getting Started
- 2 Creating The Web 2.0 Sites
- 3 How To Create High Quality “Super” Web 2.0 Sites
- 4 Turning The Link Wheel Into A Link Pyramid
- 5 BONUS CONTENT
- 6 Final Thoughts
- 7 Get It Done For You
A Web 2.0 link wheel is the easiest and most efficient way to get high quality Web 2.0 backlinks. They can be used to rank multiple pages for multiple keywords, and can be made effortlessly. The method I am about to show you can be scaled to allow you to rank for keywords of any difficulty, and it is completely free.
Before we begin the tutorial, let’s quickly look at what Web 2.0 sites are and the benefits of using them in the formation of a link wheel.
What Are Web 2.0 Sites And Why Are They So Great?
Web 2.0 is simply a phrase used to describe websites that emphasize user-generated content. Any platform that allows users to create and customize their own blog or personal website, upload their own content, or heavily contribute to the site is classed as a Web 2.0 site.
Web 2.0 sites have high authority, meaning they are trusted by Google and rank high in the SERPs. They are great for ranking as they often have very high Domain Authority, making it easy to increase the Page Authority of a sub-domain hosted on their platform – both of which increase the perceived value of the site.
In addition to this, you can use Web 2.0s to create contextual backlinks to your main website by adding high quality relevant content to them. Relevancy is extremely important in terms of ranking factors and gaining trust from Google.
Other benefits include:
- Full control over the content of the Web 2.0 sites linking to your money site.
- You can create as many high quality backlinks as you want, the only limiting factor is time.
- And many more!
Web 2.0 sites fall under a category of sites referred to as parasites or leecher sites. These sites often dominate the SERPs and “leech” traffic. The method of using parasites to rank may also be referred to as “piggybacking” or “The Piggyback Method”. Stay tuned for our upcoming article on building brand authority by using Parasite SEO!
A link wheel is when multiple sites link to each other in the formation of a wheel. This type of linking ensures none of the pages are orphaned. (An orphaned page has no backlinks and is therefore invisible to Google.) Link wheels may have a central “hub” site, and the outer sites of the wheel will all connect to it, resembling “spokes” in the wheel. In this case, the hub will be our money site.
Websites obtain “juice” from other backlinks pointing to their site. The websites can use this juice to “vote” for another website by linking to it. This uses up some of the websites juice. In a link wheel, websites share juice as well as authority and trust. This increases the value of both the website and their vote towards other sites. The more link juice and trust a site has, the higher it appears in the SERPs.
Signing Up To Web 2.0 Providers
Before creating the link wheel, we’re going to need accounts on Web 2.0 sites. I recommend creating a separate email address just for this, as over time you’ll accumulate a lot of accounts. You can use the same email for multiple accounts, as this isn’t directly exposed to Google so won’t be a footprint – just be sure to keep it private.
When choosing your sub-domain name, try to keep them unique. If every one of your accounts is yourkeyword.website.com then Google will become suspicious. Instead, mix it up with LSIs and stop words. Don’t just use the same service either. I know it can be tempting to create all of your sites on WordPress or Weebly, but this isn’t a good idea. Using a mixture of Web 2.0 sites is best, which is why I’ve provided a whole bunch of high ranking Web 2.0 sites for you to use in this tutorial.
Creating The Web 2.0 Sites
This is where the fun (hard work) begins. Read all the steps carefully and take the time to create high quality content. Remember, the higher the quality of the site, the larger the effect it will have on your SERP rank.
Customizing The Site
You can customize the site however you like, just remember to not leave any footprints. This means don’t use the same theme, font, or color scheme for every website, and occasionally stick with the default theme.
Writing Top-Notch Articles
For each Web 2.0 site in the first tier, you’ll need a unique article of 1000+ words. I HIGHLY recommend writing this article by hand (or outsourcing it), but if you’re on a low budget, you can scrape some content and spin it. If you decide to spin the articles, thoroughly check them to ensure they make sense and are readable by humans. You should also test them for plagiarism as they must be unique.
Spinning articles for tier one is usually more time-consuming than writing them by hand, and if done incorrectly will make ALL of your linked Web 2.0 sites useless, so if you decide to go this route, take extra care and put in the effort required to make the articles as realistic and unique as possible.
What Should The Article Include
We’ve created a checklist for you to follow, which shows all aspects of a highly optimized piece of content.
Ensure your article contains the following:
- Exact Match Keyword In Title / Description / URL
- Exact Match Keyword In H1 & H2 Tags
- Exact Match Keyword Minimum 3 Times In Article – Start/Middle/End
- Low Keyword Density (<1-3%) – Don’t Keyword Stuff
- Media-Rich Content – Multiple Images & One Video (Infographics & Whiteboard Videos Work Well)
- Exact Match Keyword In ALT Tag For One Image (Use LSIs For The Rest)
- Proper Formatting – Include Headings & Bulleted/Numbered Lists & Bold/Underline/Italicize Appropriately
- Mix of External & Internal Links
- LSIs & Long-Tail Keywords Used Throughout
- 2000 (or More) Words of High Quality Hand-Written Content
- Link To Authority Sites In Same Niche – Not Direct Competitors
- Mix of Anchor Text For Money Site Backlinks
The types of anchor text are as follows:
- Authors Name: Joshua Rosato
- Brand: Company Name e.g. Twitter – N/A In My Case (Instead, I’d use my name.)
- Exact Match: Web 2.0 Backlinks
- Generic: Click Here
- LSI Synonyms: Web 2.0 Link Building
- Long-Tail LSI: Top Web 2.0 Sites For Link Building
- Long-Tail Exact Match: Learn To Build Web 2.0 Backlinks
- No Text: Use An Image With No ALT Text & Wrap It In Anchor Tags
- Partial Match: Web Backlinks
- Title Tag: How To Use Web 2.0 For Link Building
- Root URL: joshuarosato.com
- Full URL: https://joshuarosato.com/web-2-0-link-building/
As we discussed earlier, you need to link all the articles together to prevent them from being orphaned. If you haven’t done this already, go ahead and do it now.
It should look something like this:
- Article One –> Article Two
- Article Two –> Article Three
- Article Three –> Article Four
- Article Four –> Article Five
- Article Five –> Article Six
- Article Six –> Article One
That’s the hard part done! Remember, you can add as many sites to the link wheel as you want, though I recommend a maximum of six. If you’re trying to rank for a high competition keyword, you can create multiple link wheels. For example, you might have three link wheels, with each link wheel containing six Web 2.0 sites.
Getting The Web 2.0 Sites Indexed
I have a detailed article on indexing backlinks, which you can find here.
I’ll quickly go over some of the methods you can use:
- Do nothing – the sites will naturally index over time.
- Submit ONE of the Web 2.0 sites to Google. Since they’re all linked together Google will automatically find the rest.
- Add the URLs of all your Web 2.0 sites to a post on an expired Web 2.0 site – I’ll show you how to find these soon – and submit the URL of the expired Web 2.0 to Google.
How To Create High Quality “Super” Web 2.0 Sites
For the first tier of the link wheel, we will be creating so-called “super” Web 2.0 sites. These are simply sites that have multiple pages. Here’s how to structure the websites:
- Main Page – The landing page of your Web 2.0 site should contain your unique article.
- About Page – This could be a page about your niche, the specific topic you are writing about, or a relevant service. Add as much detail as you can, these extra pages are about making your site look authentic.
- Contact Page – Without including any personal information, add a simple contact form to allow people to get in touch with you. This increases the authenticity of your Web 2.0 site, which also adds authority. You could create a persona for each site, and add fake contact information. This also makes your site seem more genuine.
- Other Pages – Feel free to add more content in the form of blog posts. These should include a link back to the main page. I recommend not linking these to your ranking site, though you can link them to other authority websites.
- Mandatory Pages – These are legal pages such as privacy policies and disclaimers. Most websites have them, and some are required to by law. Find a template online, enter your information, and create a dedicated page. Add the page to the footer of your website, and remember to use different details every time you generate the template, to avoid footprints.
Use this as an example, and change the content to make it more relevant for you. Some people link the extra blog posts to their ranking site. If you want to do this, only link every third article or so, and mix up the anchor text. I also recommend adding filler content that does NOT include a link to your main website – see the “bonus” section below for more information on this.
If we want our Web 2.0 sites to rank, we need to create backlinks to them. I’ll show you two easy methods to get backlinks for free. You should also take a look at my free link building methods, which can be used for both your money site and tier one backlinks.
Using Expired Web 2.0 Sites
It is possible to find Web 2.0 accounts that are no longer active, but still have all their backlinks and have retained their page authority. While these sites could also be used for tier one, they likely don’t contain your target keyword, so for now we’ll only use them for tier two.
Using a piece of software called Expired Web 2.0 Ranker, which you can get from SupaGrowth, we can automatically scrape for inactive Web 2.0 sites. To use the software simply enter your keywords into the program, and export the list of expired sites once the program has finished. I recommend using Tumblr sites for these tier two backlinks as they’re easier to find and re-register.
We need to check each the metrics of each URL, if you own ScrapeBox you can do this using the mass Page Authority checker. If you don’t own ScrapeBox you can use this free online alternative. We’re looking for URLs with high page authority, a PA of 20 or higher will work for low competition keywords. Re-register any of the scraped sites that fit this criteria.
As we did in the creation of the original Web 2.0 sites, we’re going to add an article to the expired sites. This time it only needs to be around 400 words and can be scraped. Add your main keyword and the link to your Web 2.0 site, as well as relevant images and videos. You can build as many Tumblr backlinks as you want, I always build at least ten to every Web 2.0 site.
The 301 Elevator Effect
The 301 elevator effect is a method involving the permanent redirection of domains, and then sending lots of backlinks to these domains. This means your ranking site will get lots of link juice. The 301 domains will filter out any negative backlinks so your site remains safe.
For this method, we’re going to need some cheap domain names. You can get these from NameCheap. They offer domains for 88 cents. Be sure to choose the free “Whois Guard” option so you don’t leave any footprints for Google to find. Buy three of these, using your main keyword as the domain name.
Now, set up 301 redirects on all of these domains to one of your Web 2.0 sites. I like to use WordPress, as it has the highest Domain Authority and ranks the best. The site you choose should ideally be the one with the best content and the one you will continue to develop. If you have the time, create 301 redirects to all of your Web 2.0 sites.
The Magic of 301 Redirects
We’re going to blast these domains with as many backlinks as we can. You can use any software you have available, or buy a load of cheap backlinks online (Shameless Plug). Really, any way to get backlinks to these domains will work. Look at spending about $10, with this you can easily get 400,000 backlinks for each domain, we’ll even give you the domains for free!
I don’t recommend creating more than three 301 redirects to the same page on the Web 2.0 sites, though you can use the method on all pages of the Web 2.0 sites, which will increase the sites Domain Authority. The 301 Elevator Effect will rank low competition keywords with ease, it’s my go-to method for when link wheels alone won’t cut it.
Since their isn’t enough content to warrant these sections having their own page, I’ve included them below.
BONUS ONE: Filler Content & Scheduling
To make your Web 2.0 sites look more legitimate, you should let them age before posting the article with a link to your ranking site. During this aging period, you should post relevant filler content, such as articles, images, videos, infographics, and anything else related to your keyword or niche. Add links to authority sites in some of the filler content, so when you add the link to your ranking site it will look more natural.
Once you have posted your main article, go through the filler content and link them to the main article. This gives the article more authority so its backlink to your money site will be worth more to Google.
To keep your site alive and well, you can schedule further posts to appear gradually. This gives the appearance that your site is still actively maintained. Most sites will allow you to schedule posts, but for those that don’t, check out my post on managing all your Web 2.0 accounts with one free service.
Since using the same Web 2.0 sites over and over again and again will leave a footprint, I’ve curated a list of high ranking Web 2.0 sites which you can use for future link wheels.
These sites have been specifically chosen as they rank high in search results, and allow you enough freedom to create high quality websites with unique content, without having to spend a dime.
And here’s the full list:
Didn’t I tell you that would be easy? Well maybe not, but it’s worth it! As I’ve already said, this method can be scaled to rank for any keyword! Embedding videos into the articles is a great way to boost your videos views, as well as giving extra authority to your sites. If you’d like more information on this, I recommend you read my in-depth article on ranking YouTube videos.
Get It Done For You
If this all sounds too confusing for you, or you don’t have time to properly implement and maintain a high quality Web 2.0 link wheel, visit our services page and we’ll do it for you. We also offer 301 redirects and various types of backlinks, which you can use to build authority to your money site as well as your Web 2.0 sites.
Thanks for taking the time to read this lengthy article! If you enjoyed it, please help us out by sharing it with your friends using the social buttons below.